With the release of the latest consolidated draft rankings on The Leafs Nation yesterday, I figured it was time to sit down and update my own list. The month of February saw Jakob Chychrun calm the Juolevi hype-train a little. He won the OHL Defenceman of the Month and has once again made himself look like the best defensive prospect in the draft. If I’m a team that loses out on one of the big three in the draft, I don’t hesitate to take the potential franchise cornerstone defender at #4.
A couple notes from this month:
- Mikey McLeod underwent knee surgery a couple weeks ago and is out for the foreseeable future. After a couple nice performances in the first few games since losing their best player the Steelheads have been horrid lately getting outscores 18-2 over the weekend.
- Riley Tufte makes his debut on the list and it’s all the way up at #23, every time I watch more of him I like him more. His point production has to be ignored as he is playing two steps below major junior hockey but my bet is someone in the late first round takes a shot on him.
- Tyler Benson as been shut down for the season by Vancouver and that could hurt his draft stock. If he drops into the second round, one lucky team is going to be thrilled.
- Along with Tufte, Pascal Laberge and Dillon Dube make their debut in the top-30.
- The next three outside the list are Vitali Abramov, Adam Mascherin and Rasmus Asplund